As an experienced Senior Systems Engineer, the role will require leadership within the full System design and development life cycle which includes electrical and electronic systems, hardware, and embedded software. The role is also expected to drive continuous improvement of systems engineering within the broader engineering team through mentoring, training, and process improvement.
Chess Dynamics is a leading design and manufacturing business, with several sites across the UK. Our product range delivers capability to the Naval, Land and Security sectors with cutting-edge technology and services, ensuring innovation is at the heart of everything we do.
- Champion the systems engineering discipline within the engineering team, providing continuous improvement to processes, mentoring/training of staff and providing recommendations to the Engineering Manager.
- Support project managers in the formation of project plans, estimates, identification and management of risk/issues, project reporting and adherence to schedule and cost
- Identify cost and schedule reduction opportunities during project planning and through project lifecycle
- Solicit from stakeholders and derive system level functional and performance requirements at the outset of projects and manage compliance through-life.
- Support the team in the analysis, breakdown and derivation of requirements for lower level subsystems and engineering disciplines
- Provide system architectural designs and trade off analyses
- Take technical leadership of multi-discipline engineering design projects and provide guidance to other engineers during development project phases, keeping the Engineering Manager and Director informed of emergent issues as appropriate.
- Engage with supply chain, production and test departments throughout the development process to optimise design for manufacture and test
- Lead design reviews with customers
- Take a hands-on leadership role in the planning and execution of integration, validation and verification, compliance and commissioning aspects of the products
- Provide line management and career coaching of direct reports as required.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Strong degree in a relevant engineering discipline
- Demonstrable passion for the systems engineering discipline
- Demonstrable understanding and experience in requirements capture and through-life management
- At least 5 years’ experience of systems engineering on multidisciplinary projects
- At least 5 years’ experience of cradle to grave product development, including verification and validation and beyond
- Proven experience of leading and successfully delivering multi-disciplinary projects.
- Design experience in products requiring combined mechanical, electronic and software components.
- Evidence of drive and initiative for continuous improvement
- Good all-round practical understanding of electrical and electronics systems.
- Demonstrates our company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence and Courage
- Highly organised and methodical approach, with an eye for detail
- Demonstrable initiative/innovation in problem solving
- The ability to work independently when required
- A flexible, conscientious, and diligent attitude
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and written skills
- A resilient and adaptable approach at all times
Interested in pursuing a career with us? Our benefits listed below:
Work life balance:
- 37.5 hour week
- Hybrid / flexible working arrangements
- Early finish on Fridays
- 26 days annual leave (including 4 Golden Fridays per calendar year)
Family & Wellbeing Standard Benefits – All employees:
- Group Pension Plan – up to 4% matched employer contributions
- Income Protection Scheme and Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee Help@Hand Service gives you and your family access to 4 key services including; remote GP service, second opinion, mental health pathway service, physiotherapy consultations
- Life Assurance Policy, including Bereavement Counselling and Probate Helpline
- Company Share Incentive Plan and Save as you Earn Scheme
- Group Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives, including access to Aviva Wellbeing App and the addition of mental health support for all employees plus regular activities across our sites to support and promote wellbeing
- Regular Sports and social activities
- Employee discounts scheme (inc access to an additional wellbeing hub)
- Recruitment recommendation bonus
- Excellent Learning & Development opportunities
- Great working environment with free, onsite car parking across all our locations